Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Harmonix Suffers Headshot By Being Bought Out For Only $49.99

$49.99 can buy you a lot in the gaming world. As a matter of fact, it's a standard MSRP. Did you know, however, that $49.99 can buy you a development company? Company Columbus Nova purchased the game development group for the price of the games that they make (Rock Band, Dance Central). The previous owner, Viacom, spent around $175,000,000 purchasing the company, so why sell it for such a low, low, price? It's simple. Pretending to be a rockstar just doesn't pay like it used to.

By purchasing the company, Columbus Nova takes responsibility for all of the unsold Harmonix games and equipment that are sitting in warehouses, collecting dust. Harmonix employees must be sweating bullets, as Columbus Nova might get bored with the company and trade it to their friend for a copy of Call of Duty.

It looks like the age of getting your friends together and clicking plastic to victory is past. I don't know for sure, but one thing I do know is that I wish I had an extra $49.99 lying around. Maybe then I could have a crew write this blog for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment