Monday, January 3, 2011

Press Start

Video games. Surely anyone who is reading this has played one in some form or another. Even my grandfather plays solitaire on his computer. Video games are a culmination of mankind's history of entertainment. Games of luck and skill have made their way onto consoles. Pen-and-paper RPG's and even things like novels and movies have been made into games. A rich past is being remade into brightly colored flashes on a tv screen or a pc monitor.
The King of Gaming, in all his glory. Yellow Capcom hat crown, pink shirt, acid wash jeans.
With the wisdom of Nintendo Power, wielding an NES controller, he reclines in his throne.
When he gives you the thumbs-up, you know the game is quality. His mullet is mighty.

This is gaming.

From casual to hardcore; in this day and age gaming has expanded into a market that attempts to cater to everyone's tastes. Companies build their fanbases through unique concepts and vibrant characters. What first started out with two white lines and a white dot, has become a powerhouse of fantasy. Video games provide entertainment, evoke emotion, and in some cases can even educate. What was once for basement dwellers is now for everyone. Gaming culture has become huge. Memes and jokes come directly from video games, spreading into the general populous, affecting those who have never picked up a controller. You may be surprised to find out just how many of the things you find funny are references from video games. Cue ALL YOUR BASE and DO A BARREL ROLL.

My name is Maxon Foster-McAlpine. I play more games harder than you do. My collection is extensive, the list of games I've played even more so.

If you're a newcomer, I'd like to help show you the wide world of gaming: the history, the famous, and the obscure.

If you're an experienced gamer, I'd like to tell you about some things even you don't know about.

You may think this whole thing is nerdy and lame. Feel free to do so. I'm not attempting to appeal to an uninterested audience, or an audience with contempt for me. I hope you enjoy what I have to say.

Please, read on. After all, It's dangerous to go alone, take this.

No comments:

Post a Comment